Old 13-02-2010, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default rhubarb

Stewart wrote:
can anyone advise me of a suitable compost/fertiliser for rhubarb. My wife
will not let me put down dung as the rhubarb pastch is near
her kitchen window. The rhubarb is 2 years old but can I think do
with some feeding. Thank you.

Home grown or commercial (eg spent mushroom) compost is good.

Have you tried to age your manure away from the house before applying it? I
mainly use horse (but the same applies to cow and other herbivorous mammals)
and after a couple of month it smells clean and earthy, you would have to
have a very delicate nose or be caught on the *concept* that manure is
"dirty" to object to it.

David