Old 13-02-2010, 10:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Mulching with hay bales...

Rod Speed wrote:
FarmI wrote:
"Jeßus" wrote in message
In article ,
said...
Jeßus wrote:
Based on past experiences, I tend to agree with the lady author
you know.

Hard to put into words why - perhaps it just 'beds down' better
compared to the stiffer, fresher/bulkier material and so forms a
more effective covering, whilst at the same time providing some
organic material, bacteria etc. to the soil more quickly?

Is what you you are using straw of hay? The two are not the same,
they come form different sources, have different content and behave
differently.

Hmm...

Well, So far I've been using a random mixture of small quantities of
straw/hay since moving here rather than a consistent type of hay or
straw from a regular source. I'll be ordering a large amount pretty
soon though.

I *have* recently used a few bales of fresh 'oat straw', which I've
found is good to protect freshly transplanted plants (especially
sensitive young seedlings) from the sun and wind.

All seedlings will do better with some mulch rather than none.

Thats very arguable if you dont care about the water use.

I don't want to argue for the sake of it but even if you have an infinite
supply of cheap water you cannot always be there to apply it and timers do
not adapt to weather conditions unless you have a very sophisticated setup
with moisture sensors. Mulch will help retain moisture and cool the soil,
both are useful, without attention. Also as mulch degrades it feeds the
soil and improves its texture.

David