Old 19-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] waking up an elm

Adam:
In my humble opinion ferilizing a tree that does not seem healthy is not
a very good idea. It might be worth putting the tree in a tent for
awhile and see if t just needs a little more humidity than you can give
it. The tent should be large enough so that no leaves touch the
plastic. About once a week I would open a flap and give t fresh air.
It might take a month to start growing leaves in what I call an ICU.

I also feel that Chinese Elm do much better out doors during the growng
season, and that your tree would do well to have a 1000 hours of
dormancy in a cool place.

Hopefully, more experienced Bonsaist wll chime in if the have other
ideas.

Good luck and keepus informed.

Carl L. Rosner

adam roler wrote:

hello all,
i bought a young chinese elm last summer at the chicago
show and brought it home to indianapolis. since then it
has been repotted, ifested with some really small light
colored bugs that were eating the roots, repotted again,
and now sits indoors (where it has always been) near a
source of humidity under a grow light. this thing has yet
to grow one new leaf since i brought it home. it has lost
a probably 2/3 of its leaves since i bought it. the tree
is alive but its like it just stopped growing when i bought
it. i have read in some places that you only need
fertilize this tree 2 or 3 times per year, and then other
places that you need to fertilize every two weeks. since
july i have probably given it fertilizer 5 or 6 times. i
have never let it dry out. i might have over watered it
for a while but now i do the popsicle stick thing and i
think that will help. any ideas what i can do to wake this
thing up?

adam roler

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++