Old 14-02-2010, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default rhubarb

Mixed your aged (at least 2 years old, or you will have a bunch of extra
seeds sprouting in your yard) manure with compost or other purchased "manure
that you got from Wal-Mart or other plant nursery outlets. I would mix it
about 50/50. You could include some peat moss or sand (about 25 percent)
and that way it wont look like manure either.

Dwayne

"Wildbilly" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stewart" wrote:

can anyone advise me of a suitable compost/fertiliser for rhubarb. My
wife
will not let me put down dung as the rhubarb pastch is near her kitchen
window. The rhubarb is 2 years old but can I think do with some feeding.
Thank you.

As David said, aged manure has little smell. You can add mulch, if your
wife thinks it is unsightly or apt to draw flies. Or, you could apply
your mulch, and then apply fish emulsion over the top of it.

The last thing I would tell you to do is to use chemical fertilizers.
They will kill the ecology of the soil. If you have top soil now, you
will lose it. As your soil dies, you will need to buy, and add, more and
more chemical fertilizer to your soil to maintain the productivity of
your soil. The nitrates in chemical fertilizers will contaminate the
water that you and your neighbors drink (can turn babies blue), and if
it ends up in a river, it will go to the sea to add to the oceans "dead
zones".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_zone_(ecology)

I suppose that you could join the "Ugly Americans" and splash it around
with complete disregard to the environment, but we've probably had
enough of that sort of thing.

By gardening organically, you not only grow clean food, but grow top
soil as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines