Old 14-02-2010, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default rhubarb

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Stewart wrote:
can anyone advise me of a suitable compost/fertiliser for rhubarb. My
wife will not let me put down dung as the rhubarb pastch is near
her kitchen window. The rhubarb is 2 years old but can I think do
with some feeding. Thank you.

Home grown or commercial (eg spent mushroom) compost is good.

Have you tried to age your manure away from the house before applying it?
I mainly use horse (but the same applies to cow and other herbivorous
mammals) and after a couple of month it smells clean and earthy, you would
have to have a very delicate nose or be caught on the *concept* that
manure is "dirty" to object to it.

I'm of the view that anything that is going to produce good rhubarb I'd want
to eat might just be a bit on the pongy side, but then I don't object to the
pong of manure of blood and bone but I do object to the pong of chemical
fertilisers.

chemical ferts make my nose itch and stink and all animal manures do is to
produce a sense of satisfaction in feeding the garden and then I also like
feeding people, gardens and animals.