Old 14-02-2010, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Growing On Herbs

Usenet Nutter wrote:
A couple of times I have bought growing herbs in pots like Basil
,Parsley or Coriander etc from supermarkets and while they are fine
and very healthy when you buy them they never survive more than a few
days . I'm assuming that they are forced to get to the "selling" stage
but has anyone ever bought these and got them to last ?
Any tips esp'y what sort of compost if repotting them .

Interestingly my supposition that you would get a better response to
your question on this NG as opposed to "uk.d-i-y was totally wrong.
I'm very surprised as normally they are quite a helpful bunch.
Returning to your original question, the only herb that we ( by we I
mean SWMBO) have had problems with is Basil,it seems to be quite
sensitive to low temperatures.
despite repotting and hardening off, the variety we had from the
supermarket seemed to be resent temperatures at or around 5degC as found
in our conservatory at night during the winter period. It grows well
however on the kitchen windowsill (SW facing), the temp there does not
go below approx 15deg C.
Hope this helps.
Don