Old 14-02-2010, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tahi Tahi is offline

Default Growing On Herbs

"Usenet Nutter" wrote in message
A couple of times I have bought growing herbs in pots like Basil
,Parsley or Coriander etc from supermarkets and while they are fine
and very healthy when you buy them they never survive more than a few
days . I'm assuming that they are forced to get to the "selling" stage
but has anyone ever bought these and got them to last ?
Any tips esp'y what sort of compost if repotting them .

Although you have had several encouraging answers I would prefer to say 'it
depends' on several things. (I work at one of those supermarkets.) These
plants travel a long way in the dark and cold. They are probably put on the
top shelf (nearest the heating). They are unlikely to get watered between
leaving the original supplier and going home with you. If delivered by a
home shopping van they may be too tall for the trays and get battered every
time the tray of shopping is moved on. Etc.
So yes, you have a good chance of keeping them successfully, but don't be
surprised if they fail.