Old 14-02-2010, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Simple things that make gardening easier/fun

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:32:12 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

Many times you will do more harm to the shingles on your roof by trying
to remove the snow than just leaving it there. My neighbor removed the
snow from his roof a couple of years ago to find his roof leaked come
spring which involved a roof repair. It may be a different story if you
have a weak roof with three feet of snow on it. Then you better get it
off and fast. A roof repair come spring is better than no roof at
all.........LOL

Rich

I have my wheelbarrow some 25 years, has an ordinary tube type tire.
Only once like ten years ago I needed to replace the tube, dry rot,
cost $4, done in under an hour. I own one wheelbarrow, my finish
mower has four tube type tires, I have two garden wagons (another 8
tube type tires, and a large Agrifab dump cart, 2 more tube tires.
That makes a total of 15 wheels. I've found that keeping the valve
stems capped is important. Very occasionally a stem valve leaks, from
seal rot and/or dirt under the seal... new valves/caps are cheap and
install in under a minute. Keeping the wheel bearings properly lubed
is very important, if your wheel has no grease zirks they are easy to
install, only high pressure grease works, oil does more harm than
good. Keep tires properly inflated, a $10 hand operated bicycle tire
pump and a $4 tire air guage does the job. Those solid wheels are
mounted on two piece (glued together) plastic rims, eventually they
will separate.... one of my carts came with plastic rims, they were
recalled. Those solid wheels cost like $40 each... 15 of them would
be a $600 investment for me... and they are one size fits all, not
properly configured for each implement. BTW, one can buy a whole new
quality homeowner/gardener size wheelbarrow for like $40... nobody
needs/wants a contractors wheelbarrow for gardening:
http://tinyurl.com/yhcofc8

http://www.lowes.com/pd_135144-302-S...tt=wheelbarrow
&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=wheelbarrow$y=12$x=23