Old 14-02-2010, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Stake And Weave To Support Tomatoes And Peppers

Phisherman wrote in
:

No, but I like the sturdier large tomato cages. If you have the
space, tomatoes are happy vining on the ground without support
but you might need straw to protect the fruit.

Mother Earth News, way back in the 70s (i think), had plans for these
raised (about 6") wire mesh platforms to lay your tomato vines on to
keep the fruit off the ground. seemed to me to be an awful lot of
work when a good mulch would do the same job with far less cost &
effort. while there may be some issues with slugs hiding in mulch, a
bit of Slugg-o takes care of that.
lee