Old 14-02-2010, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default White Cabbages

On 14 Feb, 12:48, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:39:58 -0000, "Plum"
wrote:

I know this is not strictly a home-growing question, but does anyone know
why the "sweetheart" or "pointed" cabbages in the supermarkets are suddenly
white instead of green? *In the winter, you need to eat your greens, not
whites.

It's all to do with storage. Retailers can keep white cabbage for
weeks while real green cabbage does no last for long. The white
cabbage you see for sale now could have been grown months ago.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd * * * * * * * * *www.NPSL1.com

Neural network applications, help and support.

I think you will find it is because they trim the cabbage heavily so
the "Heart" will fit into a poly bag, in my younger day you couldn't
sell cabbage or lettuce if they didny have the outer leaves on.
The hard round white cabbage which we used to call "Dutch Cabbage" was
bread to be cut in the Autumn and then stored in clamps the same as
you did in those days with potatoes.
David Hill