Old 14-02-2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Simple things that make gardening easier/fun

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:52:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going
flat due to cold weather.

About 35 years ago, when we were both young and gorgeous but more
impoverished than we are now, we bought a cheap wheelbarrow that ahd a
solid
wheel. We still own that wheelbarrow and have never owned another one.

It never occurred to us that wheel barrow tyres went flat until a friend of
ours was whinging about how often her tyre was flat and how often she was
unable to use the wheelbarrow - a novel concept to us since our barrow has
always been available to use.

Last year I wanted to buy a wheelbarrow for the son-in-law so went looking
for a wheelbarrow with a solid tyre - no such thing could be found in any
nursery or harware shop or in any of the catalogues in these places.

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths) so
they're virtually useless in and about a garden. For moving bulky and
light weight items (tools, mulch, etc.) that a typical gardener would
a lightweight wheelbarrow or a four wheeled garden cart is far more
suitable. Contractor wheelbarrows are even too heavy for most folks
when empty. For gardening a 4 cu ft barrow is plenty big enough and
one with a plastic tray is even better, easier to clean and no rust.
Important safety hint; never leave a wheelbarrow unattended with small
children about, wheelbarrows by nature are very unstrable, even an
empty one can crush a child, let alone one filled with earth. And
never EVER leave any wheelbarrow standing on it's wheel and front lip,
it can tip, trap a small child, pet, wild animal. A weelbarrow is not
a toy, not something to permit children to play with... there are
child's wheelbarrows at toys r us.