Old 14-02-2010, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Simple things that make gardening easier/fun

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 2/14/2010 1:47 PM, brooklyn1 wrote:
Frank wrote:

My roof is calving icebergs onto the deck. Unsafe for wife to fill bird
feeder.

You need to properly insulate your attic... probably no insulation at
the perimeter.

No it has something to do with the downspouts being frozen and snow
melting and refreezing on the roof.

I've got the same issue Frank but just a lot of small icebergs. My
house is insulated for electric heat. Great except moisture can be
trapped and rot of facia can occur and has.
My concern is the slope of our home is not too steep and a few feet of
snow is heavy. The rake I saw had wheels and was designed to gently
take off some snow from the ground. The pole was about 20-25 feet long
so it required no roof traverse .
Things are dripping real good and the water remains outside with temps
of about 40 f. Forecast is for a couple more inches tomorrow.
I've never seed my garden smashed down like this in 35 years. Bamboo
to Kerria Japonica now under snow. Luckily the larger Japanese maples
were just pruned by the ice. Our street is covered and one car wide but
power stayed on so we are fortunate.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Big may be better but small can be beautiful.