Old 15-02-2010, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Simple things that make gardening easier/fun

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:52:28 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "FarmI" ask@itshall be given contains these words:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the
subject.

I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires
going flat due to cold weather.

About 35 years ago, when we were both young and gorgeous but more
impoverished than we are now, we bought a cheap wheelbarrow that
ahd a solid
wheel. We still own that wheelbarrow and have never owned another
one.

It never occurred to us that wheel barrow tyres went flat until a
friend of ours was whinging about how often her tyre was flat and
how often she was unable to use the wheelbarrow - a novel concept
to us since our barrow has always been available to use.

Last year I wanted to buy a wheelbarrow for the son-in-law so went
looking for a wheelbarrow with a solid tyre - no such thing could
be found in any nursery or harware shop or in any of the catalogues
in these places.

Builders merchants (real ones, not DIY sheds) sell much more
robust ones.

Janet

Contractor wheelbarrows are much too heavy and cumbersome for
gardening and under load don't roll easily over earth (tradesmen
typically lay down heavy wooden planks for wheelbarrow paths) so
they're virtually useless in and about a garden. For moving bulky and
light weight items (tools, mulch, etc.) that a typical gardener would
a lightweight wheelbarrow or a four wheeled garden cart is far more
suitable. Contractor wheelbarrows are even too heavy for most folks
when empty. For gardening a 4 cu ft barrow is plenty big enough and
one with a plastic tray is even better, easier to clean and no rust.

A whole lot of opinion stated as fact. What nonsense!

Who on earth buys a wheelbarrow for carrying a few garden tools. They are for
dirt, sand, cement, firewood, rocks, cinderblocks, etc. all of which are hauled
better in a good heavy duty wheelbarrow. My first wheelbarrow was a cheap
plastic tub unit. It was useless. So floppy, it couldn't carry a load stably.

The baby unit you suggest would take forever to do any real work.

I picked up one on a curb with a free sign that had a solid tire. It really is
nice to have a heavy duty unit that never needs to be refilled before use.