Old 15-02-2010, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wildbilly Wildbilly is offline

Default rhubarb

In article ,
"Dwayne" wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Dwayne wrote:

It depends on the provenance of the manure. Herbivores are not
necessarily eating seeds.

Most manure used in gardens comes from chickens, cows, horses or sheep.
They all eat seeds from grass, weeds, grains, etc and they in turn will
sprout in your garden. When I used it fresh, I really had a problem.

with compost or other
purchased "manure that you got from Wal-Mart or other plant nursery
outlets. I would mix it about 50/50. You could include some peat
moss or sand (about 25 percent) and that way it wont look like manure
either.

Why? Is this just to disguise it? Peat moss is rather pricey (here at
least) to use in such quantities.

David

Mostly to disguise it and change the smell (if it doesn't look and smell
like manure, his wife might not object to using it), but doing it this was
will increase drainage, will help overcome clay in the soil, and it enriches
the soil.

Dwayne

May want to try some rye or buckwheat on that clay.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines