Old 15-02-2010, 04:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lawn Guy Lawn Guy is offline

Default Dead grass redux

wrote:

Having read the "dead grass" thread, I'm afraid I'm in for bad
news. Writing from SE Michigan, zone 6.

I'm in the same zone as you, probably 100 or 150 miles to your east.

The front lawn has a maple tree - red maple, I think - at least
in the fall the leaves turn red. It casts a deep shade, but worse
is that the ground around it has lots of thin roots. Needless to
say, no grass grows there. I was thinking of using a slit seeder,
thinking that would cut the roots. But, well -- is there any type
of grass that will grow there?

Put down a layer of good black soil under the tree. Not the shit they
call compost or peat moss. 1 or 2 inches is all you need. Mix in some
24-24-24 lawn-starter fertilizer.

If you want instant grass - buy some sod and lay it down. If you seed,
you want a deep-shade grass seed (Supranova Poa Supina / Supranova
Supina Bluegrass).

Soil and roots WILL NOT BE your problem (unless you have clay soil). It
will be the shade. What is the diameter of the tree trunk? Can you
walk under the tree when it's fully leafed-out in the summer without
hitting your head on leaves or branches?