Old 17-02-2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Stake And Weave To Support Tomatoes And Peppers

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Has anyone ever tried the stake and weave to support tomatoes and bell
peppers? Looks like a pretty good system to me because you use a whole
lot less stakes which can be kind of expensive these days! I do know
that big growers in Florida use this system quite a bit on large scale
operations. I was just wondering how many home gardeners have tried it
and if so, how did it work out for you? Also, if you can recommend
any variation of this method I would like to hear about it. I will be
putting out around two dozen plants this spring and need to save some
money while also giving my plants some good support to keep them off the
ground. Any suggestions would be more than welcomed Thanks so much
in advance!

Rich

Hmmm...

I have seen one gardener use this method for several years, if I
understand the "stake and weave" correctly. It is a low cost system and
he set it up quickly. He used 8 ft long notched coated steel poles
spaced every 5 ft for 50 ft. Then used garden twine continuously wrapped
around the poles and tied the twine at the ends with short ground
stakes. He had several rows for determinate tomatoes, peas and green
beans. However, his garden had tall shrubs around his garden which helps
block strong winds. One will also have to train the plants, labor cost
will be higher. One can train them while weeding. The direction of the
staked rows may be important to help the plants climb. Direction I am
not sure which is best, his was north & south.

I may try this system myself for beans & peas. My garden space does have
strong winds, so I may try a test spot for the tomatoes. I plan on at
least 50 tomato plants. I do not think this will work for many types of
low height peppers or the bush like tomatoes.

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.