Old 17-02-2010, 10:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Lancillotto del lago Lancillotto del lago is offline

Default Dead grass redux

I don't know very much those issues about maples, but I think the roots
generally develop upwards in asfictics soils where not enough air close
to the roots prevent them to absorb mineral elements (the mineral
absorptions requires chemical energy produced only
if there is enough air close to the roots). In other case the roots go
upwards. This phenomenon is very common in plants growing in town
streets under pavements.

I think if you have enough organic rotting matter on the ground below
the tree, the soil mantain more soft and aired and only thin roots will
emerge over the soil.

Besides you can grow your lawn early before maple leafs are so wide to
prevent light reach the soil.
In my country garden there is an hedge maple and their branches ad leafs
don't prevent clover to grow.
Clover give nitrogenum to the maple and let soil water get out through
stomes, so that soil is not so wet to cause maple suffer air scarcity.