Old 18-02-2010, 02:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Dead grass redux

Lawn Guy said:

wrote:

Bluegrass may be an even worse choice because it has higher
nitrogen requirements than other grasses. So, to try to
make it grow, you'll be applying fertilizer.

He's already trying to grow grass under a tree. Don't you think the
tree will already be depleting the soil anyways?

Anyone who wants a thick, healthly lawn will already be applying
fertilizer. Your argument is a red herring. His problem will a
reduction in sunlight starting in mid-june until fall. You put any
other type of grass there and it will thin out quickly.

Guess what else wants that fertilizer and other nutrients?
Those pesky thin, dense, tree roots from your Maple.

So what's wrong with fertilizing your trees?

Do you think that trees have the same fertilizer requirements as turfgrass?

So, they will start extending up into that nice new topsoil
too. And in a year or two, you'll be back where you started.

Unlikely. I've got several large maples (silver and sugar) and the only
surface roots I see are large and woody and would easily be burried for
years if I covered them with an inch or two of topsoil.

And you'd shorten the trees lifespan, in the process. Those roots are there, at
that depth, for a reason. That's where the water, nutrients, and more
importantly, oxygen is located. If you bury the roots deeper, you'll deprive the
tree for many years of one or more of those things. Please don't profess to know
about trees, their growth habits, and their nutrient requirements. You obviously
have little to no training in the subject.

rest of drivel snipped

--

Eggs

Can I yell MOVIE in a crowded firehouse?