Old 18-02-2010, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Plum Plum is offline

Default Madronyos

Several decades ago in Spain we had a soft fruit, the same size as a
strawberry and also eaten with cream. It had a slightly gritty, very dark
red skin outside with a brilliant orangey yellow, squashy, inside.
Phonetically written, the name sounded like "madronyos". It was delicious
but I have never discovered the English name. I suspect it would not be
sold here as it probably would not travel. Anyone recognise it?