Old 18-02-2010, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Madronyos

In message , Plum
writes
Several decades ago in Spain we had a soft fruit, the same size as a
strawberry and also eaten with cream. It had a slightly gritty, very
dark red skin outside with a brilliant orangey yellow, squashy, inside.
Phonetically written, the name sounded like "madronyos". It was
delicious but I have never discovered the English name. I suspect it
would not be sold here as it probably would not travel. Anyone
recognise it?

This is one the Madroņa - Arbutus Menziesii - one of the strawberry
trees (indigenous to Mexico where it is much enjoyed. In Portugal they
make a kind of brandy from it which they call "medronho" - as they
would, being Portuguese. My daughter has an Arbutus of sorts in her
garden in Richmond (Surrey) which fruits quite profusely although I
don't know if she or her kids eat them.

I doubt if the fruit to which you were accustomed is sold here but I'd
ask the Spanish Embassy if there is a nation Spanish Food Centre in the
UK - and call them to ask if available.

HTH

--
Gopher .... I know my place!