Old 19-02-2010, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default How to Grow a Tea Garden

"Tonyfrost" wrote in message news:a56a7318-
Tonyfrost: Ok well for the time being my garden is a bit ''undressed'' but
because in italy there is a very important fest every 2 months,
there's allways an excuse for good flowers.......... Anyway the top
flower at this time where I live is ''MIMOSA'' I don't know if anyone
of you there know it,
I know it very well as I live in Australia where nearly two thirds of the
world's species of Acacia are natives. What you and many people of the
world call 'Mimosa', we in Australia call Wattle. We have prostrate forms,
weeping forms, tree forms and shrub forms and it's possible to have a wattle
in flower 365 days of the year if a gardener chooses wisely.

Tonyfrost: but I have a whole tree in front of my window,
i'll take a picture and show it tomorrow,
Anyway let's say that it's a beautifull tree that provides yellow ball
flowers that have a wonderfull smell. And what italian men do every
8th of march is they buy some mimosa and give it as a present to any
girl or woman that they like, because that day is called ''women's
day'' over here, it's realy an amazing day, cuz even the girls at
school are interrupted by flower vendors that bring them these flowers
to them that have actually been bought by their ''lovers'', so it's a
great day and I can't wait, cuz I have like loads to sell !!!! I'll
tell more about my garden later anyway.
Here in Oz, there was an old belief that having wattle (mimosa) indoors was
very unlucky. I don't believe that but since they are so lovely int he
garden and in the wild, I don't see any point in cutting it to bring it
indoors.

When I lived in London in the mid 70s, I remember seeing some wattle for
sale and of course it was labelled 'mimosa', but it was a species of
Australian wattle. I was so homesick that I bought some. Of course it soon
died and really I should have just kept walking as buying it made me even
more homesick.