Old 19-02-2010, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
troyc troyc is offline

Default ground cover versus Roundup

On Feb 19, 12:34*pm, John McGaw wrote:

After many attempts at eradicating it I've determined that the English Ivy
(which is attempting to swallow the wooded area in front of my house and
acting like kudzu) is pretty much immune toRoundup, even when mixed to the
"brush killer" strength. The waxy cuticle on the leaves seems to prevent
them from taking up the glyphosate and even adding a wetting agent to the
spray doesn't seem to make it work much better.

Yes, Roundup is known to be relatively weak on vines (such as wild
morningglories). One thing you can do is add a couple ounces of
ammonium sulfate (if it's available to you) to the water & dissolve
before adding in the Roundup. The active ingredient in Roundup
(glyphosate) is very polar and will attach to minerals such as calcium
in the water, 'tying it up' and not letting it be available to enter
the plant cells. If added first, ammonium sulfate will attach to the
ions in the water and leave the glyphosate free to do its job.