Old 19-02-2010, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

Barb wrote:
"john bently" wrote in message
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know
of a good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different
walking boots available please? Apparently the last consumers
association review was done way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive)
that are generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks
for any advice.

I was in the same position about 5 years ago. I went to Milletts and
bought a pair of Peter Storm lightweight walking boots for about £40.
I tried on several, but these immediately felt almost comfortable
enough to sleep in!

Don't buy anything which you think will "wear in"
- they either feel good straight away or they don't.

Thats not right. My current boots were a tad tight over the top of the foot, but
wore in fine and are by far the most comfortable for walking I have ever had.

I've had a lot of use out of them, and they are light enough to walk
on road or off road in grotty weather, plus great grips. They gave
away a couple of pairs of socks with them as well, which are still
going strong. Decent socks are important, no ridges and providing a
comfortable lining to the boot.

And its important to avoid pure synthetics too.

Just go to somewhere like Millets and see how you get on!