Old 21-02-2010, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Using Soaker Hose Irrigation

EVP MAN wrote:
I'm going to give soaker hoses a try this year in my 4 1/2' X 50'
vegetable bed. Having never used them before, I do have a few
questions. I will be planting 3 rows of vegetables the full length of
the bed. There will be 18" between rows. I will use be using two 50'
soaker hoses connected to a Y splitter. I will place one hose down
the center of each row. The hose will be 9" away from my plants on
either side. My soil structure is clay that will be amended with
compost and other organic matter. The bed will also be well tilled
before planting. My questions a Will a soaker hose provide enough
water for plants that are 9" away from it ??? Also, how often and
for what length of time should I use the system each week if we don't
get any rain ??? The last thing I would like to know is it better to
bury the soaker hoses a bit or just lay them right on top of the soil
??? The reason I'm planting so close together in this bed is because
I want to give intense planting and intercropping a try this year.
Just not so sure what size area two soaker hoses will take care of
Any ideas on my irrigation plan for this year would be more than
welcomed

My experience with soaker hoses is that they don't throw water much unless you
overpressure them. The water spreads some by diffusion through the soil, but not
long distances, so having the hose close to the row of plants would be
advantages. If you increase pressure to get throw, you still get way more water
where the hose is, and you get way more difference in water output from the
beginning to the end of the hose.