Old 20-02-2010, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default coldframe/composter

I have a surplus to requirements coal bunker. With the
help of a neighbour, I've managed to shift each
concrete panel of the bunker, from the house to the
allotment.
The intention is to re-assemble the bunker into a handy
coldframe. Each panel is approx 3' x 3'. I will screw
to rows of battening, about 9" and 18" from the top -
this will allow me to lower the plants, as they get
taller.
This will leave a space of about 18" at the bottom of
the new coldframe. Suppose I was to fill this space
with fresh material from the composter. I noticed when
topping up the composter with household waste today,
that the contents were starting to warm up a bit,
despite the recent cold weather.
Can anyone foresee any problems? I've got an outdoor
max/min thermometer, so there should be no danger of me
overcooking the seedlings - I hope!
TIA