Old 21-02-2010, 02:27 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
pamela[_3_] pamela[_3_] is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

john bently wrote:
Now i have retired I would like to start walking. Would anyone know of a
good place to see some *critical* reviews of the different walking boots
available please? Apparently the last consumers association review was done
way back in april 2006.

Or would anyone know of some boots (preferably not too expensive) that are
generally believed by many people to be a good buy? Thanks for any advice.

Buying a hiking boot from a review is like buying a dog from a review.

Fit is essential between your foot shape and your hiking boot choice.
You can get a great boot that doesn't fit your feet, and pretend that
you have made the best choice.

Some people buy a dog based on how they and the dog get along together.
That is probably a better match than a dog from a breed that experts like.

The common wisdom being passed around today is that fit is most important.

After that there are some other things like getting a rugged boot for
rugged conditions, or not getting a boot with a sole that is slick when
wet. Those are things that boot reviews can be good for. I bought a well
known brand of boot that was slick as snail snot when wet, and threw
them out after the second fall. A review might have helped me avoid that.

Magazines aren't good places for gear reviews anymore, as publishers
hate to give an advertiser a lousy review. That can be bad for the
publication business.

You might try http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/

They (backpackgeartest.com) accept samples from industry and
volunteer/users provide reviews of the equipment. In addition, owners of
gear have been known to submit their own reviews of equipment they have
purchased.

I have also heard of http://gearjunkie.com/