Old 21-02-2010, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening
PeterC[_2_] PeterC[_2_] is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 00:05:14 GMT, Tom wrote:

PeterC wrote in
IME Vibram soles both skid easily and wear out rapidly.

My previous boots' leather gave up the ghost after
nearly a quarter of a century. The vibram was still
in perfectly adequate condition.

Yes, my old boots are OK after a lot of walking, but the Scarpa soles were
well worn after about a year and mainly flatt(ish) ground. They also skid
on a clean, wet road (where my bike tyres are difficult to lock (well, rear
wheel!) and last for 3,000 miles.

Vibram can aquaplane, particularly on smooth stone
surfaces. I haven't tested whether other materials
and/or tread patterns are better or worse.

It'd need a lot of water and speed to get those cleats to aquaplane!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.