Old 21-02-2010, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default coldframe/composter

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

This will leave a space of about 18" at the bottom of
the new coldframe.
Suppose I was to fill this space with fresh material
from the composter. I noticed when topping up the
composter with household waste today, that the
contents were starting to warm up a bit, despite the
recent cold weather.
Can anyone foresee any problems? I've got an outdoor
max/min thermometer, so there should be no danger of
me overcooking the seedlings - I hope!

This is the way old time gardeners provided bottom
heat in cold frames - a layer of active compost
underneath the beds.

Thanks David, that's reassuring. I could always remove
compost if it starts to overheat. By March end it'll
probably be warm enough, so extra heat won't be
required.