Old 21-02-2010, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Felling Trees now

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

'Mike' wrote:

Want to take a huge Horse Chestnut down and I know it cannot be done
when the birds are nesting, but want to get my facts right.

No it's not a diseased tree, belongs to the council on council land and
needs to come out of it on health and safety to life, property and limb
grounds.

If it's council owned and on council ground then surely it's up to
them to take it down? If it is in danger of falling down as you
suggest then they should be amenable to suggesting they get a move on
and bring in the tree surgeons before the equinoctal gales come along
and topple it on somebody.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

Yes you are on the ball there Phil and letters and correspondence have been
going backwards and forwards. A massive report was done in 2007 and the
recommendation there was that it came down, but it was only pollarded.
Things have moved on and a felling order has been requested, but it is the
timetable with the birds nesting and the law/stipulations etc which may
delay felling until the Autumn which in turn brings in other factors. Rather
long and involved story I won't bore you with ;-) like ""That tree is
healthy no you cannot fell it"" and two years later it crashes and
demolishes a Barn!!

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk