Old 21-02-2010, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
gloria.p gloria.p is offline

Default Melting snow

starrysmile wrote:
Will the melting 2 feet of snow we have be beneficial to my gardens?
My husband says "no, most of it evaporates". Is he correct? I was
hoping for an extra lush spring as payback for the horrible winter
we've had here in No. Va. Thanks!

Some will evaporate, some percolate down into the soil. Snow varies
quite a but in the amount of moisture it contains.

Google "liquid water content of snow" to see various reports of how
much snow it takes to melt to an inch of water. That statistic is
surprising to most who read it.

gloria p