Old 21-02-2010, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Melting snow

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:00:27 -0500, bullthistle
wrote:

starrysmile;878003 Wrote:
Will the melting 2 feet of snow we have be beneficial to my gardens?
My husband says "no, most of it evaporates". Is he correct? I was
hoping for an extra lush spring as payback for the horrible winter
we've had here in No. Va. Thanks!

I have spread fertilizer when there was snow on the ground because it
will penetrate faster then a heavy rain. True some evaporates but not
all of it so I guess your husband hasn't walked on grass after the snow
melted?

Your ground is frozen, most of your fertilizer will be washed away as
run off as snow melts and be wasted. Heavy rains will wash away most
fertilizer as well. Read the directions on the package for when/how
to apply in your area.