Old 22-02-2010, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rain Gauge In Garden

EVP MAN wrote:
I think a decent rain gauge would be a very useful gardening tool. I
plan to put one right where my irrigation system (soaker hoses) begin.
With the rain gauge, I can keep a log of the rain we get each week
and determine how long to water my vegetables using the soaker hoses.
I'd like to see my garden have between 1" to 1 1/2" of water a week.

Before you buy check the maximum capacity of the commercial models and
compare to the maximum rainfall event you are likely to get in 24 hours.
Some cheapo units only hold 30-50 mls (1 1/2 to 2 in) which can fall in an
hour or two, or in some places a few minutes. You don't want to be faced
with choice of wildly inaccurate figures or going out in the rain to empty
the gauge.

Also allow for evapotranspiration in your irrigation figuring. A cool
overcast week is much different to a sunny week of hot dry winds.

David