Old 22-02-2010, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Keeping alder polled

For my alder breeding project I have developed the routine of cutting
a sprig of A. glutinosa and putting it in water in my living room,
about 18°C by day. The catkins on the trees outside aren't producing
pollen, not at this temperature, but indoors, they produce maximum
pollen in about 7 days. Using a paint brush I gather the pollen into a
bag and put it into the kitchen fridge. How long might it stay viable
then? Have you anything to say beyond that?

Michael Bell