Old 22-02-2010, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default coldframe/composter

On 2010-02-22 12:40:34 +0000, "Bertie Doe" said:

I was given about 50 snowdrop bulbs last Summer. The
one's that get some late afternoon sunlight, are in
flower. Some that I planted in shade, have produced
green but no hint of flower heads yet. If they don't
flower, should I transfer them now or wait a month?
Thanks.

Bertie

As they're woodland plants, some shade shouldn't
bother them too much. You do need a fair depth of
soil for them and not too much interference from tree
roots etc., or so the received wisdom goes but in the
lanes here, they grow in great masses in among all
the hedgerow plants! I must say that here on the
Nursery and in the garden, they flower in all sorts
of weird places and some are tucked away in a bank
behind one of the greenhouses and get very little
direct light. They can be a bit fussy as to soil, so
perhaps the ones that aren't flowering don't like the
soil in that particular area of the garden. They
seem to like a moist soil and one that's humus rich.
Moving them now can't hurt if you're quite sure no
flowers are on the way.
--

Thanks we'll keep an eye on them and look out for a
'light shade' spot, rather than direct shadow.