Old 22-02-2010, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Rain Gauge In Garden

In article ,
wrote:

(EVP MAN) wrote:

I think a decent rain gauge would be a very useful gardening tool.

I agree. I have a high quality glass-not-plastic 5" rain guage in
my garden as well as a high-low recording thermometer (on a stake so
that it's mobile), as well as (on hand) one of those "instant" reading
meat thermometers for measuring soil temperature to a depth of 6". It
may seem too obvious to mention but, if you actually put the rain guage
in your planting bed, be certain that it is not under foliage, which can
distort the results. Don't even ask me how I know about that... Mine are
old-fashioned mechanical devices; as a general rule, I avoid appliances
that require batteries or other sources of power.
Gratuitous Aside: You may be able to find historical weather data
for your region he
http://www.weatherbase.com/?refer=

Yeah I hear you guys, But in the early AM I know what happened in the
last 12 hours. Can also see what happened in the last 24 or week and it
self empties. Wireless and when the lows are 40 ish I'll crank it up.
Kewl...

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA