Old 23-02-2010, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rain Gauge In Garden

FarmI wrote:
Rain gauges aren't only used for figuring out how often to water a
garden. In fact I'd say that I've never known any gardner round here
who uses their rrain gauge in determing how often they water their
garden beds.
We use a rain guage to record rainfall so that we have accurate annual
records for if/when we sell our farms. Buyers ask for that sort of
information because it determines grazing. Additionally we also like
to know how we're going in terms of rainfall by seasons and to
compare it to long term averages. I think there is more benefit in
knowing if you've had a dry or wet some over time so that you can
figure out why particular crops did well or not so well.

Artifical watering is also not the equivalent of rainfall in terms of
production so knowing what fell from the sky as opposed to knowing
what came from a tap is also part of that do well/rotten yield
scenario.

Besides if you know how much rain fell last night you always have something
to say when you meet strangers.