Old 23-02-2010, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_5_] Zootal[_5_] is offline

Default Time to plant potatoes?

wrote in news:6f-
:

It's mid February. We will get frosts at
night for at about two more months. Isn't it a bit early to be planting
potatoes?

Ask the guys who want to sell you seed potatoes. It's probably a
800 call and it's to their advantage that you are successful. Where I am
it's 'way too late for potatoes, which go in in December.

Home Depot is selling potatoes right now. They don't care when it's
planting time, they just care what they can sell. A small bag with 3 or 4
spuds in it for $6-$8? Pshhh...who are they trying to kid? Anyone who
plants potatoes now is going to have to mulch them heavily for the next 8-
10 weeks because that is how much longer we are going to get frosts. We got
a foot of snow last April, killed off a lot of the early potatoes.