Old 23-02-2010, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default good fruit/vegetable choices for 3-4 year stay?

Ohioguy said:

We are buying a house, and it is likely we will be at the place for
around 3 or 4 years before moving. As such, I've been trying to

figure
out what plants to focus on. Obviously, we shouldn't really plant
anything that takes 4+ years to mature.

I seem to recall planting a Hale Haven peach, and getting a decent
crop the second year from that. Also, I was thinking of rhubarb,
perhaps some strawberries, and maybe asparagus.

Forget the peach and the asparagus. (Well, maybe a dwarfed peach
tree in a planter--take it with you when you move.) By the time
they really start producing, you will be leaving them behind.

Strawberries reach full production the next year after planting.

Rhubarb, I don't know. (I am allergic to it!)

Would raspberries get established quickly enough?

Yes, the second year after planting you should get a good crop,
especially if you choose a variety that is a fall-bearer. I recommend
Polana, which makes a great fall crop (and a good summer crop, too).

--
Pat in Plymouth, MI