Old 23-02-2010, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default good fruit/vegetable choices for 3-4 year stay?

The Cook wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:42:40 -0500, Ohioguy wrote:

We are buying a house, and it is likely we will be at the place for
around 3 or 4 years before moving. As such, I've been trying to
figure out what plants to focus on. Obviously, we shouldn't really
plant anything that takes 4+ years to mature.

I seem to recall planting a Hale Haven peach, and getting a decent
crop the second year from that. Also, I was thinking of rhubarb,
perhaps some strawberries, and maybe asparagus.

Would raspberries get established quickly enough? Can anyone
recommend anything else that would be a good choice? I do prefer
things that come back the next year, like the things I've mentioned
above. However, I would also be open to a few annuals.

Asparagus and rhubarb both have limits on how much you can harvest in
the early years. First year, none. Second year maybe a week. And it
is about 3 or 4 years before you can harvest very long. I don't have
the exact instructions right here now. I started rhubarb from seed
last year and was not supposed to harvest at all. These plants need
the growth to feed the roots until they are established.

If you plant rhubarb from sets you will be harvesting within a year and
quite possibly within months if you have a good growing season and fertile
soil. Unlike asparagus where you have to hold off cutting to be sure the
plants produce enough top growth to store energy for the next year with
rhubarb you can see how it is growing at the time and so it is easier to
judge when to stop cutting.

David