Old 24-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Helen J Helen J is offline
Registered User

Default Preparing clay for turf

Hello

I'm new to the forum and had a quick look around and couldn't find any other posts which answer this question.

I have an area of ground (11m x 4m) which I would like to have turfed in April. The soil in my garden is black and clay like to a depth of 30-40 cm with yellow clay beneath and there is a drainage problem in that all the water from the field at the back of my house runs onto my carden so it does get waterclogged.

I have put in some drains which removes a lot of the water however a substantial ammount of it still rests on top of any compacted soil areas. I want to make sure that when I lay the turf the soil underneath is as well prepared as possible and try and get it draining a bit better.

I was thinking of getting 30 bags of sharp sand (about the size of a 20l bag of compost) and 30 x 60/70l bags of cheap compost and mixing them in to my soil before I lay the turf. Its also been suggested that laying topsoil may be better but this would be more expensive and it seems a waste given my 'top'soil is very rich in nutrients.

Does anyone know what the best thing to do is?

Thanks

Helen