Old 24-02-2010, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default potatoes when? And big uns

"Brownfingers" wrote ...
When do the nurseries get the seed potatoes in? Now?

I've grown some nice potatoes and some not so nice, but I can never
get big ones for jacket potatoes or fat chips. Any advice on type or
technique. (I'm on very well drained soil, maybe I need more
watering?)

They are in the shops now or you can order online....
http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/

Maybe you are using the wrong varieties for your soil type, try some drought
tolerant ones. How much manure do you put on your potato bed each year, I
spread about 4 inches thick layer all over before digging it in and I'm on
clay/silt, your soil probably needs more. Watering is also key as is
starting with big seed potatoes.
An old chap on our first allotment site always went down the supermarket and
bought the cheapest and biggest clean spuds to use as seed to grow baking
potatoes. Not recommended but he proved to me that big in means big out.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden