Old 24-02-2010, 04:33 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownfingers View Post
When do the nurseries get the seed potatoes in? Now?

I've grown some nice potatoes and some not so nice, but I can never
get big ones for jacket potatoes or fat chips. Any advice on type or
technique. (I'm on very well drained soil, maybe I need more
watering?)
To grow larger potatoes, one thing you should do is reduce the number of shoots on the potato after chitting to about 3 good ones.

Unless you have a lot of garden space and free time for gardening, I think growing the kind of vegetables that are relatively cheap in the shops is a waste of scarce garden space and one's personal labour. It might not even save you much money. To my mind, in potatoes, getting best value from one's scarce garden space and labour means growing new potatoes, which are more expensive, and growing varieties that you wouldn't find in the shops.

You do need to buy your seed potatoes now and get chitting. Soon you'll be too late.