Old 19-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Cass

Default Aphids, black spot, and mulch, etc.

In article , Mike
wrote:

I'm in South Central Texas, so I'm sure the garlic will grow up north. I
think it's ugly next to roses. It's just big green stalks, like fat, tall
grass. The stalks tend to flop over in wind or rain, too. Sloppy. My Dad
plants them right next to roses, inches away, on two sides. It looks
pretty bad sticking up through his rose bushes. I can't tell him nuthin',
though. He swears by it.

There is an ornamental garlic that grows all curly. I think it's really
cool. That said, my impression is that all that companion plant stuff
is bunk. Aphids like nice cuddly conditions. The roses on my patio
protected by a wall get aphids. Those out in the gale suffer much less.

Another point: washing off aphids is an exercise in washing the little
beasts off far enough so they can't climb back up to the tender new
growth. So don't wash them off one rose and onto another (which I've
done), and make sure you wash them far enough away.