Old 24-02-2010, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default My Compost Smells

"phorbin" wrote in message
. ..
In article d48460cb-92b4-4144-a519-f20833629a63
@m37g2000yqf.googlegroups.com, says...

Thanks Rob, I'll try to do that, but I was wondering if there was like
a product
that you can put on the stack to cover the smell...

Everyone's joking right now but let me inject a serious note.

THere are no useful shortcuts.

You want compost, you are going to have to learn about it and put the
work in.

http://www.compost.org/backyard.html

I certainly wasn't joking when I told him he used to use sweat as an
ingredient. Unless or until he learns to add that, he won't have compost -
he'll simply have rotted vegetation. I see no problems with the rotted
vegetation approach either, but if he wants to go that way, he will need to
understand that he doesn't pile it, he spreads it and them has to a
potential weed problem unless he also learns how to use the rotted
vegetation.