Old 25-02-2010, 03:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default parsley shape

i have parsley (both curly & italian) which self-seeds about the place (i'm
too lazy to grow it in an organised manner, and also i find it really hard
to germinate whereas it germinates wonderfully if just left to do its
thing).

lately i have noticed that the curly parsley has almost entirely lost its
curl and is paler than it used to be! it doesn't quite look like italian
parsley, but it's really not tightly curly & dark like it should be. it
looks like a small version of italian.

do we think it is:
1: cross pollination (i don't recall them ever flowering simultaneously, but
who knows)
2: just the current curlies growing a bit straighter because of some sort of
weather thing & next time round they'll be curly again.
3: lack of selection on my part ( i just let all of them go to seed, good or
bad, as a general rule) so it's reverting to some sort of ancestral type
(??? i have no idea if this is even likely).
4: a weird side effect of the occasional razing by (presumably) rabbits

any thoughts?
kylie
p.s. i used to live across the street from someone whose curly parsley was
knee-high & fabulously lush. wow! my parsley never looks like that even if
it's not gone straight.