Old 24-02-2010, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching
OG OG is offline

Default Felling Trees now

"mark" wrote in message

I am comforted by the fact we still have a 300 ft Wellingtonia, part of
the Isle of Wight Histree trail but it is nowhere near (in my opinion) as
magnificent as the Beech..

This Wellingtonia?
The exotic trees of Osborne House

Wellingtonias (Sequoiadendron giganteum) planted in the same year, one by
Prince Albert and the other by Queen Victoria, were measured during the
Botany Group's meeting at Osborne House in September. Albert planted his in
an area close to the potting shed but Victoria wanted hers to be in a place
where she could see it growing so it was planted at the edge of the lawn,
visible from her sitting room. This location was also rather more exposed to
the wind. Albert's tree has now reached a height of approximately 36m (118
ft) whereas Victoria's is about 24m (78 ft), presumably as a consequence of
its location.

http://www.iwnhas.org/NewsSeason2006.html