Old 25-02-2010, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
PeterC[_2_] PeterC[_2_] is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:22:33 -0800, SMS wrote:

-Vibram soles for traction (nothing beats Vibram soles for traction)

In that case I'll go for Nothing - lighter, cheaper and won't be more
slippery than the Vibram soles on my Scarpa boots (although might leak a
bit).
I have shoes with no cleats at all, just a smooth sole, that just won't
slip on surfaces where the Vibram slip quite readily, so, except for
macro-mechanical interaction, pattern doesn't help grip. The shoes are, of
course, no good on mud or snow but very good on wet slabs and 'green'
concrete. I haven't tried them on the rocks on Scafell Pike! :-)
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.