Old 25-02-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

SMS wrote
Phil Cook wrote

Suede is leather with the best bit thrown away. It is the inner side of the skin with the outer taken off. Nubuck is
the outer that has been abraded to resemble suede.

Why would they bother to abrade full grain leather to create Nubuck? I suspect that Nubuck is from lower grade leather
which doesn't look
good unless it's abraded. Or maybe it's to decrease the weight?

In any case, the bottom line remains the same when buying walking
(hiking) boots. First look for the necessary design elements which a

1. GORE-TEX® lining (or other breathable waterproof membrane lining)
for breathable waterproofness (nearly all mid to high end boots have
this). NEVER buy hiking boots that lack a breathable waterproof
membrane lining.

I do that last all the time. I just dont need boots with a waterproof lining.

2. Vibram® outsole for best traction

I dont need the best traction either. What I actually
need is the best confort and very long wearing instead.

(cheaper boots may have a lower grade outsole).

I am quite capable of checking the outsole.

3. Stitchdown construction (not just glued) for durability (very rare except on extreme high end).

So its stupid to demand that, it restricts your choice far too much.

Makes more sense to accept that they may not be quite as durable,
but much better value and vastly more range to choose from.

4. Full-grain, all-leather upper (not split grain, not "nubuck") for support

I dont need support. My ankles have evolved with all the support I need.

and durability.

Thats very desirable, but not absolutely essential if the price is lower
enough so you can say buy twice as many as the most expensive etc.

Once you find all the boots with the necessary design elements you
begin to narrow down your choices based on other factors like fit,
aesthetics, price, etc..

It makes no sense to do it your way on price most obviously.

Its an important consideration at the same time as considering
the design because it interacts with the design so much.