Old 25-02-2010, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

PeterC wrote
Rod Speed wrote

No its not with his silly claim that they will never become comfortable.

I worded it rather poorly.

You did indeed.

What I should have said was that boots or shoes that are
uncomfortable because of poor fit will never become comfortable.

Still wrong. Those ones of mine were uncomforable because of
a poor fit did become the most comfortable I have ever owned.

Boots and shoes made of real leather can wear in to be comfortable.

They can also be stretched a bit.

Yeah, thats the main reason I didnt return them, I decided that it should
be feasible to stretch them if they didnt wear in by themselves. And since
I wear them all day every day in the winter, they likely would wear in.

I dont wear different boots for walking than I wear around the house in winter.

I saw a shoe-stretcher that could widen shoes up to width D

Not sure how well those work with modern glued construction.

- for me, that's narrow.

My feet arent anything special width wise, just a bit higher than average at the top of the foot.

It's easy to get D, so a stretcher needs to go well beyond that.

There's plenty of antique stretchers on ebay and some that appear to be new too.