Old 25-02-2010, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.rec.hiking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default walking boots-- which are good?

Scott Bryce wrote
SMS wrote

Bottom line is that all the experts agree that you should _never_
purchase a pair of hiking boots, walking shoes, etc., that do not
have a GoreTex (or competing product) membrane, if you expect to have them ever get wet.

Have you spoken with every expert? Nearly everybody who successfully
hikes the entire length of the Pacific Crest Trail does so in trail
runners. Is 2650 miles in one season enough to make one an expert?

Scott Williamson, who has hiked at least 40,000 miles, wears running shoes.

Not only would these people not consider GoreTex important, they would specifically advise against it. The reason is
that under some conditions, your feet will stay drier without it.

The OP didn't even mention hiking. He said walking. Boots of any sort are overkill for walking.

Nope, I prefer elastic sided boots just for the convenience of putting
them on and off and they are more convenient for grass seeds as well.

I wear them all day every day in winter and they are a lot eaier
to keep looking decent than with modern running shoes etc.